Re: SSD + RAID

   * I could buy two X25-E drives and have 32GB disk space, and some
     redundancy. This would cost about $1600, not counting the RAID
     controller. It is on the edge.
This was the solution I went with (4 drives in a raid 10 actually). Not a cheap solution, but the performance is amazing.

I've came across this article:

http://www.mysqlperformanceblog.com/2009/03/02/ssd-xfs-lvm-fsync-write-cache-barrier-and-lost-transactions/

It's from a Linux MySQL user so it's a bit confusing but it looks like he has some reservations about performance vs reliability of the Intel drives - apparently they have their own write cache and when it's disabled performance drops sharply.
Ok, I'm getting confused here. There is the WAL, which is written sequentially. If the WAL is not corrupted, then it can be replayed on next database startup. Please somebody enlighten me! In my mind, fsync is only needed for the WAL. If I could configure postgresql to put the WAL on a real hard drive that has BBU and write cache, then I cannot loose data. Meanwhile, product table data could be placed on the SSD drive, and I sould be able to turn on write cache safely. Am I wrong?