Re: SSD + RAID

Lists wrote:
Laszlo Nagy wrote:
Hello,

I'm about to buy SSD drive(s) for a database. For decision making, I used this tech report:

http://techreport.com/articles.x/16255/9
http://techreport.com/articles.x/16255/10

Here are my concerns:

   * I need at least 32GB disk space. So DRAM based SSD is not a real
     option. I would have to buy 8x4GB memory, costs a fortune. And
     then it would still not have redundancy.
   * I could buy two X25-E drives and have 32GB disk space, and some
     redundancy. This would cost about $1600, not counting the RAID
     controller. It is on the edge.
This was the solution I went with (4 drives in a raid 10 actually). Not a cheap solution, but the performance is amazing.

I've came across this article:

http://www.mysqlperformanceblog.com/2009/03/02/ssd-xfs-lvm-fsync-write-cache-barrier-and-lost-transactions/

It's from a Linux MySQL user so it's a bit confusing but it looks like he has some reservations about performance vs reliability of the Intel drives - apparently they have their own write cache and when it's disabled performance drops sharply.