Re: Best suiting OS

S Arvind wrote:
Hi everyone,
What is the best Linux flavor for server which runs postgres alone. The postgres must handle greater number of database around 200+. Performance on speed is the vital factor.
Is it FreeBSD, CentOS, Fedora, Redhat xxx??

-Arvind S
We use Arch Linux and love it. It does not have "versions" - you just keep updating your install and never have to do a major version upgrade. It is a bare bones distribution with excellent package management and repositories, virtually no distribution cruft, and a fantastic community/wiki/forum.

As a warning no one offers support for Arch that I know of and the packages are generally very current with the latest which is both a good and bad thing. For a production environment you have to be very careful about when you do upgrades and preferably can test upgrades on QA machines before running on production. You also want to make sure and exclude postgresql from updates so that it doesn't do something like pull down 8.4 over an 8.3.x installation without you being backed up and ready to restore. PostgreSQL is currently at 8.4.1 in their repositories.

With that disclaimer out of the way it is my favorite Linux distribution and I am running it on a couple dozens servers at the moment ranging from puny app servers to 8 core, 32GB+ RAM, 30-40 disk database servers. If you are comfortable with Linux it is worth checking out (on your personal machine or QA environment first). I've run dozens of distributions and this works well for us (a startup with nontrivial Linux experience). I imagine at a larger company it definitely would not be an option.

Joe Uhl