Re: Best suiting OS

On Thu, 1 Oct 2009, Greg Smith wrote:
On Thu, 1 Oct 2009, Matthew Wakeling wrote:
For comparison, with Red Hat, you will need to upgrade to a whole new distribution whenever you want updated software, which is a much bigger undertaking.

This is somewhat true for larger packages, but it's not the case for PostgreSQL. You certainly can grab newer RPMs from https://projects.commandprompt.com/public/pgcore and install them.

The reason we switched that machine to Debian was due to the postgresql-devel package being missing for Red Hat. We need that package in order to install some of our more interesting extensions. A quick look at http://yum.pgsqlrpms.org/8.4/fedora/fedora-9-x86_64/ indicates that this package is still missing. Because Debian includes Postgres in its main package repository and uses automated build tools, Debian is unlikely to suffer the same fate.

Matthew

--
I'm always interested when [cold callers] try to flog conservatories.
Anyone who can actually attach a conservatory to a fourth floor flat