Re: Best suiting OS

On Thu, 1 Oct 2009, S Arvind wrote:
      What is the best Linux flavor for server which runs postgres alone. The postgres
must handle greater number of database around 200+. Performance on speed is the vital
factor.
Is it FreeBSD, CentOS, Fedora, Redhat xxx??

For starters, FreeBSD isn't Linux at all. Secondly, the other three options you have listed are all Red Hat versions - not much variety there.

I know that some people swear by Red Hat, but I personally have had nothing but trouble from such installations, especially when trying to upgrade to a newer version of Postgres. We have just switched a machine from Red Hat to Debian because of this very problem. I can heartily recommend Debian, as it distributes new versions of Postgres very quickly and allows you to continuously upgrade without any problems. For comparison, with Red Hat, you will need to upgrade to a whole new distribution whenever you want updated software, which is a much bigger undertaking.

As far as performance goes (and someone will probably contradict me here) all the different Linux distributions should be roughly equivalent, as long as they are up to date and well tuned.

Matthew

--
And why do I do it that way? Because I wish to remain sane. Um, actually,
maybe I should just say I don't want to be any worse than I already am.