PG 8.3 and large shared buffer settings

Is there any practical limit to the number of shared buffers PG 8.3.7 can handle before more becomes counter-productive? I remember the buffer management algorithm used to get unhappy with too many buffers and past a certain point performance dropped with extra memory pitched at Postgres.

My production DB's around 200G, and the box hosting it has 192G of memory on it, running a 64 bit AIX build of 8.3.7. I'm currently running with 15G of shared buffers, and while performance is pretty good, things still hit the disk more than I'd like. I can easily bump the shared buffer setting up to 40G or so without affecting anything else that matters.

The box runs other things as well as the database, so the OS buffer cache tends to get effectively flushed -- permanently pinning more of the database in memory would be an overall win for DB performance, assuming bad things don't happen because of buffer management. (Unfortunately I've only got a limited window to bounce the server, so I can't do too much in the way of experimentation with buffer sizing)
--
				Dan