Re: View vs Stored Proc Performance

Merlin Moncure wrote:
On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 7:51 AM, Dimitri Fontaine
<dfontaine@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
like joining the result to another table...the planner can see
'through' the view, etc.  in a function, the result is fetched first
and materialized without looking at the rest of the query.
I though the planner would "see through" SQL language functions and
inline them when possible, so they often can make for parametrized
views...

It can happen for simple functions but often it will not.  For views
it always happens.

Are functions in language 'sql' handled differently than those of language 'plpgsql'?

I think they're not so in any case a function will behave as a black box with regards to the planner and optimizer (and views are always 'transparent').