Re: Seeking performance advice and explanation for high I/O on 8.3

Scott Otis wrote:
Would love to get some advice on how to change my conf settings / setup to get better I/O performance.

Total I/O (these number are pretty constant throughout the day):
Reads: ~ 100 / sec for about 2.6 Mb/sec
Writes: ~ 400 /sec for about 46.1Mb/sec

Most of the SQL happening is selects – very little inserts, updates and deletes comparatively.

Maybe I'm wrong, but those two don't seem to jive.  You say its mostly selects, but you show higher writes per second.

Does freebsd have a vmstat or iostat?  How did you get the numbers above?  How's the cpu's look?  (are they pegged?)

The io stats above seem low  (reading 2 meg a second is a tiny fraction of what your system should be capable of).  Have you tried a dd test?

-Andy