Re: Full text search with ORDER BY performance issue

Robert Haas <robertmhaas@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> Hmm, good point.  It seems like it would be useful to force the
> planner into use the other plan and get EXPLAIN ANALYZE output for
> that for comparison purposes, but off the top of my head I don't know
> how to do that.

The standard way is

	begin;
	drop index index_you_dont_want_used;
	explain problem-query;
	rollback;

Ain't transactional DDL wonderful?

(If this is a production system, you do have to worry about the DROP
transiently locking the table; but if you put the above in a script
rather than doing it by hand, it should be fast enough to not be a big
problem.)

			regards, tom lane