Re: random slow query

Scott Marlowe wrote:
Close, but it'll use that memory for cache. Large buffers are not
typical in linux, large kernel caches are.
OK, we're talking about different things. You're right.

If that tutorial says that, then that tutorial is wrong.  I'm guessing
what that tutorial is talking about, and what top is saying are two
very different things though.
Then it is an amazingly common misconception. I guess it first appeared in some book and then reproduced by zillion blogs. Essentially this is what Goolgle brings you on 'swap cache' query.

Thanks for clearing that out.

 It's normal, and shouldn't worry anybody.  In fact it's a good sign
that you're not using way too much memory for any one process
It says exactly the opposite.

This time I agree :-)

Cheers,
Mike