Re: PostgreSQL with PostGIS on embedded hardware

Paolo Rizzi wrote:
Are you saying that PostgreSQL+PostGIS can actually run on a smartphone??? Intriguing...
Did anyone ever actually tried that???

If it's a supported CPU type and you've got a suitable build toolchain,
sure.  Seven or eight years ago we were getting a good laugh out of the
fact that you could run PG on a PlayStation 2.
Good to know!!! I imagine that on a PS3 it would be _really_ fast... :-)

well not really - while it is fairly easy to get postgresql running on a PS3 it is not a fast platform. While the main CPU there is a pretty fast Power based core it only has 256MB of Ram and a single SATA disk available(though you could add some USB disks).

Stefan