Re: performance for high-volume log insertion

On Tue, 21 Apr 2009, david@xxxxxxx wrote:

I see that
you use %blah% to define variables inside your string.  That's fine.
There's no reason why you can't use this exact syntax to build a
prepared query.  No user-impact changes are necessary.  Here's what you
do:

<snip psudocode to replace %blah% with $num>

for some reason I was stuck on the idea of the config specifying the statement and variables seperatly, so I wasn't thinking this way, however there are headaches

doing this will require changes to the structure of rsyslog, today the string manipulation is done before calling the output (database) module, so all the database module currently gets is a string. in a (IMHO misguided) attempt at security in a multi-threaded program, the output modules are not given access to the full data, only to the distiled result.

also, this approach won't work if the user wants to combine fixed text with the variable into a column. an example of doing that would be to have a filter to match specific lines, and then use a slightly different template for those lines. I guess that could be done in SQL instead of in the rsyslog string manipulation (i.e. instead of 'blah-%host%' do 'blah-'||'%host')

by the way, now that I understand how you were viewing this, I see why you were saying that there would need to be a SQL parser. I was missing that headache, by going the direction of having the user specify the individual components (which has it's own headache)

David Lang