Re: plpgsql arrays

On Fri, 3 Apr 2009, Tom Lane wrote:
Simon Riggs <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
I don't actually believe that a standard merge join algorithm will work
with an intransitive join condition ...

I think it's a common enough problem that having a non-standard join
algorithm written for that case would be interesting indeed.

Sounds like a great PhD thesis topic.

I agree it'd be very cool to have a non-standard join algorithm for this built into Postgres. However it is nowhere near complicated enough for a PhD thesis topic.

I'm just putting the finishing touches on a plpgsql implementation - in order to perform the join on a asymmetric set of ranges, you just need to keep two separate history lists as you sweep through the two incoming streams. This would be sufficient for range constraints.

Matthew

--
Surely the value of C++ is zero, but C's value is now 1?
 -- map36, commenting on the "No, C++ isn't equal to D. 'C' is undeclared