Re: Increasing GROUP BY CHAR columns speed

I'm still not sure why the planner chose to sort rather than hash with oversized work_mem (is there an implied order in the query results I missed?).

Group by contains decimal column exchrate. Maybe pg is not capable to use hash with numeric datatype.

My guess is that this query can still get much faster if a hash is possible on the last part. It looks like the gain so far has more to do with sorting purely in memory which reduced the number of compares required. But that is just a guess.

I fixed this by adding cast to :::float

bilkaib.exchrate:::float

In this case query is much faster.
Hopefully this will not affect to result since numeric(13,8) can casted to float without data loss.

Andrus.