Re: Bad performance on simple query

On Nov 17, 2008, at 12:40 PM, Scott Marlowe wrote:

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 10:31 AM, Dimi Paun <dimi@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, 2008-11-17 at 10:16 -0700, Scott Marlowe wrote:
Ahhh.  Keep in mind that if you just run the query, pgadminIII will
tell you how long it took to run AND return all the data across the
network, so it will definitely take longer then.  But most of that's
network io wait so it's not a real issue unless you're saturating your
network.

But that is brutal -- there's no way it can take 20ms for a request
across an unloaded network.

Moreover, I got something like this:

          pgadminIII | pgsql
w/o index:     45ms      0.620ms
w/ index       20ms      0.091ms

How now I try to replicate, and I get 45ms in both cases. This is
very misleading...

I'm guessing a fair bit of that time is pgadminIII prettifying the
output for you, etc.  I.e. it's not all transfer time.  Hard to say
without hooking some kind of profiler in pgadminIII.  Is psql running
local and pgadminIII remotely?  Or are they both remote?  If both psql
and pgadminIII are remote (i.e. same basic circumstances) then it's
got to be a difference in the client causing the extra time.  OR is
this output of explain analyze?

Side note: I haven't seen pgAdminIII never show a time below 20ms (the time on the bottom right corner).

When I do a query like this : select 1; it takes according to pgAdminIII around 20ms. (whatever that time is)

what I normally do to find my real query time is put and explain analyse in front of my query to know to real query time.

Ries