Re: select on 22 GB table causes "An I/O error occured while sending to the backend." exception

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008, Bill Moran wrote:

In linux, it's possible to tell the OOM killer never to consider
certain processes for the axe, using /proc magic.  See this page:
http://linux-mm.org/OOM_Killer

Perhaps this should be in the PostgreSQL docs somewhere?

The fact that http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/kernel-resources.html#AEN22218 tells you to flat-out turn off overcommit is the right conservative thing to be in the documentation as I see it. Sure, it's possible to keep it on but disable the worst side-effect in some kernels (looks like 2.6.11+, so no RHEL4 for example). Trying to get into all in the manual is kind of pushing what's appropriate for the PostgreSQL docs I think.

--
* Greg Smith gsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD