Re: Plz Heeeelp! performance settings

dforums wrote:
vmstat is giving :
procs -----------memory---------- ---swap-- -----io---- --system-- ----cpu---- r b swpd free buff cache si so bi bo in cs us sy id wa 0 2 1540 47388 41684 7578976 0 0 131 259 0 1 9 3 82 7

This system is practically idle. Either you're not measuring it at a useful time, or there isn't a performance problem.

 >  > But
 >> if I use a second machine to replicate the database, I escape this
 >> problem isn't it ?
 > You reduce the chance of a single failure causing disaster.
Not clear this reply. It's scare me ....

If server A fails, you still have server B. If server A fails so that replication stops working and you don't notice, server B won't help any more.

 > What do you mean by "take 6Go per week"? You update/delete that much
 > data? It's growing by that amount each week?
YES

That wasn't a yes/no question. Please choose one of:
Are you updating 6Go per week?
Are you adding 6Go per week?

 > I'm not sure what "15000 request per 2 minutes and empty it into 10 min"
 > means.
I insert 15000 datas every 2 min and delete 15000 every 10 min in those tables

 > Do you have 7500 requests per minute?
should be that, But in fact I'm not treating the datas in real time, and I buffer the datas and push the data into the database every 2 min
 > Are these updates?
during the delete the data are aggregated in other tables which make updates

OK, so every 2 minutes you run one big query that adds 15000 rows.
Every 10 minutes you run one big query that deletes 15000 rows.

 > To the "temporary storage"?

 > What is this "temporary storage" - an ordinary table?
Yes, I thied to use temporary tables but I never been able to connect this tables over 2 different session/connection, seems that is a functionnality of postgresql, or a misunderstanding from me.

That's correct - temporary tables are private to a backend (connection).

 >  > I'm making some update or select on tables including more than 20
 >  > millions of entrance.
 >
 > Again, I'm not sure what this means.

To aggregate the data, I have to check the presence of others information that are stores in 2 tables which includes 24 millions of entrance.

OK. I assume you're happy with the plans you are getting on these queries, since you've not provided any information about them.

 > Oh - *important* - which version of PostgreSQL are you running?
8.1.11
 > Is an upgrade practical?
We are working of trying to upgrade to 8.3.3, but we are not yet ready for such migration

OK

 > Looking at your postgresql.conf settings:
 >
 >   max_connections = 624
 >
 > That's an odd number.
Now we could decrease this number, it's not so much usefull for now. we could decrease is to 350.

I don't believe you've got 350 active connections either. It will be easier to help if you can provide some useful information.

 >   effective_cache_size = 625000
 >
 > That's around 5GB - is that roughly the amount of memory used for
 > caching (what does free -m say for buffers/cache)?
Mem:          7984       7828        156          0         38       7349
-/+ buffers/cache:        440       7544
Swap:          509          1        508

Not far off - free is showing 7349MB cached. You're not running 350 clients there though - you're only using 440MB of RAM.

I don't see anything to show a performance problem from these emails.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd