Re: Benchmark: Dell/Perc 6, 8 disk RAID 10

Justin wrote:
OK i'm showing my ignorance of linux. On Ubuntu i can't seem to figure out if XFS file system is installed, if not installed getting it installed.

Hm? Installed/not installed? You can select that when you are preparing
your partitions. If you run the automated partitioner there is of course
not much choice but you can try the manual mode. Even after that you
can format individual partitions with XFS if you want. XFS is long since
included in the recent linux kernels, also there is raiserfs if you feel
desperate (well in fact raiser fs is ok too but you should not use it
on flaky hardware). Both xfs and raiser are designed for journaling -
it is believed that xfs performs better with large files and raiser
good with many small files (like Maildir for example).

I'd suggest a test with your data and workload to be sure.

Regards
Tino