Re: Benchmark: Dell/Perc 6, 8 disk RAID 10

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 3:09 PM, justin <justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  I chose to use ext3 on these partition

You should really consider another file system.  ext3 has two flaws
that mean I can't really use it properly.  A 2TB file system size
limit (at least on the servers I've tested) and it locks the whole
file system while deleting large files, which can take several seconds
and stop ANYTHING from happening during that time.  This means that
dropping or truncating large tables in the middle of the day could
halt your database for seconds at a time.  This one misfeature means
that ext2/3 are unsuitable for running under a database.