Re: How to choose a disc array for Postgresql?

On Mar 2, 2008, at 11:02 PM, Steve Poe wrote:

It seems the RAID card manufacturers have more to do with failures
than the drives themselves. Have you found a RAID card you did not
have to drop to U160?

The only array for which I've had to drop to U160 on an LSI card is the Dell array. I think the backplane is not fully U320 compliant, but I have no real proof. I had the same seagate drives, which I *know* work U320 with an LSI card.

It seems only the Dell-branded LSI cards work with the Dell-branded arrays at U320 -- at least they report to be working.

Because I'm leery of Adaptec, and the LSI cards are hard to get decent arrays at decent prices, I've moved to using external RAID enclosures attached via LSI Fibre Channel cards.