which is more important? freq of checkpoints or the duration of them?

Subject about says it all. Should I be more concerned about checkpoints
happening 'frequently' or lasting 'longer'? In other words, is it ok to
checkpoint say, every 5 minutes, if it only last a second or three or better
to have checkpoints every 10 minutes that last half a minute? Stupid examples
probably, but you get my point I hope :)
--
Douglas J Hunley (doug at hunley.homeip.net) - Linux User #174778
http://doug.hunley.homeip.net