Re: 8.3 synchronous_commit

Guillaume Smet wrote:
Also with SATA? If your SATA disk is lying about effectively SYNCing
the data, I'm not that surprised you don't see any improvement. Being
slower is a bit surprising though.

The disc is not lying, but LVM does not support write barriers, so the result is the same. Indeed nothing is flushing the disc's write cache on fsync. However I could disable the disc's write cache entirely. One reason why I'm a ZFS fan boy lately. It just get's all of this right by *default*.

Anyway, with some further testing my benchmark results vary so much that further discussion seems pointless. I'll repost when I really have reproducible values and followed Greg Smith's advice.

--
Best regards,
Hannes Dorbath

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend