Re: strange pauses

On Jan 21, 2008, at 1:58 AM, Adrian Moisey wrote:
Perhaps, if you want to avoid I/O caused by temp tables (but it's not at checkpoint time, so perhaps this has nothing to do with your problem),
you could try raising temp_buffers.

How can I find out if temp_buffers is being exceeded ?

You could monitor the pgsql_tmp directory under the appropriate database directory ($PGDATA/base/oid_number_of_the_database). You could also see how many pages temporary objects in that connection are using; you'd have to find the temp schema that your session is using (\dn pg_temp* from psql), and then

SELECT sum(relpages) FROM pg_class c JOIN pg_namespace n ON (c.relnamespace=n.oid) AND n.nspname='pg_temp_blah';
--
Decibel!, aka Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect  decibel@xxxxxxxxxxx