Re: strange pauses

Hi

If I tail the logs, I see a steady stream of functions that took longer then 5 seconds. But every now and then I see nothing for 3 minutes and after that a whole bunch (about 20 - 30) queries all finishing at the same second.

Search this list for references to "checkpoints". If you run vmstat/iostat for a bit you should see bursts of disk activity at those times.

Counter-intuitively you probably want *more* checkpoints (with less data to write out each time), but see the list archives for discussion. Also check the manuals for some background info.

We use a lot of checkpoints in our database, we don't care about these

We use a lot of temporary tables in our database, sorry.

much. We think this is causing the checkpoint to write a lot of data at checkpoint time. Can we stop this behavior ?

--
Adrian Moisey
System Administrator | CareerJunction | Your Future Starts Here.