Re: Best way to index IP data?

On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 03:19:35PM -0500, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
Besides, there are many cases where you want to track both ipv4 and
ipv6 for the same purpose and requiring two different fields would be
less than ideal.

And, there are many cases where you don't. I've got two kinds of db's that have IPs in them. In some, the IP is a small part of a table which is focused on something else. For those I use inet, which provides a nice bit of future-proofing. In other db's the IPs are the primary focus. There are lots and lots of IPs, and the space used by IPs may be the largest chunk of a particular table. For those tables, I don't use inet because the overhead really is a significant fraction of the space.

Mike Stone

               http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate