Re: Best way to index IP data?

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008, Jonah H. Harris wrote:

On Jan 10, 2008 6:25 PM, Steve Atkins <steve@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
http://pgfoundry.org/projects/ip4r/

That has the advantage over using integers, or the built-in inet type,
of being indexable for range and overlap queries.

Agreed.  ip4r is da bomb.

Hello to all,

I also have to store a lot of IP v4 addresses, and I think the internal inet type is somewhat overkill for that, since it always require 8 bytes, even if you don't need to store a netmask. When storing millions of IP add, this means MB of space used for nothing in that case.

As ip4r seems to work very well with postgresql, is there a possibility to see it merged in postgresql, to have a native 4 bytes IPv4 address date type ?

Nicolas