Re: big database performance

Hi

We recently converted to postgres (from mssql) and we're having performance issues. Not all the issues are related to postgres, but we're trying to sort everything out.

The server is running ubuntu Gutsy with the database stored on a IBM SAN. It is a Dell box with dual quad core 2.00GHz Xeons and 8GB RAM.

The database is about 71GB in size.

I've looked at the postgres config files and we've tweaked as much as our knowledge allows.

Can someone shed some light on the settings I should use ?

Umpf that isn't quite enough info :) but assuming you are running 8.2.x:

Sorry :/  Yes, we are running 8.2.x

Start with 1GB shared_buffers (you may be able to go hire), 4MB work_mem, wal_sync_method = open_sync, checkpoint_segments = 30, default_statistics_target = 150, effective_cache_size = 6GB .

Our shared_buffers is 1GB.
work_mem is 32MB
I changed wal_sync_method to open_sync (which helped a ton!)

Can someone please explain effective_cache_size. what cache does it want to know about? Linux cache?

Also, we're running the db on ext3 with noatime. Should I look at changing or getting rid of journaling ?

64bit Gutsy?

Yes

How is the SAN connected?

fibre

What does mpstat 5 (3 iterations) say?
Even better what does sar -A say over a 24 hour period?

I'll get these for you

--
Adrian Moisey
System Administrator | CareerJunction | Your Future Starts Here.