Re: big database performance

Adrian Moisey wrote:
Hi

We recently converted to postgres (from mssql) and we're having performance issues. Not all the issues are related to postgres, but we're trying to sort everything out.

The server is running ubuntu Gutsy with the database stored on a IBM SAN. It is a Dell box with dual quad core 2.00GHz Xeons and 8GB RAM.

The database is about 71GB in size.

I've looked at the postgres config files and we've tweaked as much as our knowledge allows.

Can someone shed some light on the settings I should use ?

Umpf that isn't quite enough info :) but assuming you are running 8.2.x:

Start with 1GB shared_buffers (you may be able to go hire), 4MB work_mem, wal_sync_method = open_sync, checkpoint_segments = 30, default_statistics_target = 150, effective_cache_size = 6GB .

Restart, VACUUM ANALYZE VERBOSE, post back last 4 lines of output.

Other good items to know:

64bit Gutsy?
How is the SAN connected?
What does mpstat 5 (3 iterations) say?
Even better what does sar -A say over a 24 hour period?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Thanks in advance

               http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate