Re: Multi-threading friendliness

Craig James wrote:
Don't confuse thread-friendly with a threaded implemetation of Postgres itself. These are two separate questions. Thread-friendly involves compile/link options that don't affect the Postgres source code at all.
Indeed. I'm specifically not suggesting that Postgres should offer an API that can be called from anything except the initial thread of its process - just that library subsystems might want to use threads internally and that should be OK. Or rather, it should be possible to build Postgres so that its OK. Even if there's a small slowdown, the benefit of running the full JVM or CLR
might outweigh that quite easily *in some circumstances*.

I've also hinted that at some stage you might want to thread some parts of the implementation, but I'm not suggesting that would be an early target. It seems to me sensible to make it straightforward to take baby steps in that direction in future would be a reasonable thing to do. As would being friendly to dynamically loaded C++ code. If you create the framework, (and we're talking the barest of scaffolding) then others can work to show the cost/benefit.

I fail to see why this would be a controversial engineering approach.

James

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster