Re: autovacuum: recommended?

On Nov 19, 2007, at 9:23 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
Decibel! <decibel@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
FWIW, 20k rows isn't all that big, so I'm assuming that the
descriptions make the table very wide. Unless those descriptions are
what's being updated frequently, I suggest you put those in a
separate table (vertical partitioning). That will make the main table
much easier to vacuum, as well as reducing the impact of the high
churn rate.

Uh, you do realize that the TOAST mechanism does that pretty much
automatically?

Only if the row exceeds 2k, which for a lot of applications is huge. This is exactly why I wish toast limits were configurable on a per- table basis (I know there were changes here for 8.3, but IIRC it was only for toast chunk size).
--
Decibel!, aka Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect  decibel@xxxxxxxxxxx