autovacuum: recommended?

hi,

we are moving one database from postgresql-7.4 to postgresql-8.2.4.

we have some cronjobs set up that vacuum the database (some tables more often, some tables less often). now, in pg82, there is the possibility of using the autovacuum.

my question is: is it recommended to use it? or in other words, should i only use autovacuum? or it's better to use manual-vacuuming? which one is the "way of the future" :) ? or should i use both auto-vacuum and manual-vacuum?

in other words, i'd like to find out, if we should simply stay with the vacuuming-cronjobs, or should we move to using auto-vacuum? and if we should move, should we try to set it up the way that no manual-vacuuming is used anymore?

thanks,
gabor

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend