Re: 12 hour table vacuums

Alvaro Herrera wrote:
Ron St-Pierre wrote:

Okay, here's our system:
  postgres 8.1.4

Upgrade to 8.1.10
Any particular fixes in 8.1.10 that would help with this?
Here's the table information:
The table has 140,000 rows, 130 columns (mostly NUMERIC), 60 indexes.

60 indexes?  You gotta be kidding.  You really have 60 columns on which
to scan?

Really. 60 indexes. They're the most commonly requested columns for company information (we believe). Any ideas on testing our assumptions about that? I would like to know definitively what are the most popular columns. Do you think that rules would be a good approach for this? (Sorry if I'm getting way off topic here)
vacuum_cost_delay = 200
vacuum_cost_limit = 100

Isn't this a bit high?  What happens if you cut the delay to, say, 10?
(considering you've lowered the limit to half the default)

Yes, Tom pointed this out too. I'll lower it and check out the results.

Ron

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq