TEXT or LONGTEXT?

Hello,

I have a database with an amount of tables and in several of them I have an attribute for a semantic definition, for which I use a field of type text. I am trying to decide if it would be worth using LONGTEXT instead of TEXT, as maybe it would slow down the data insertion and extraction. I hope that you could help me. Thank you.

--
Fabiola Fernández Gutiérrez
Grupo de Ingeniería Biomédica