Re: [Solved] Postgres performance problem

Decibel! wrote:
On Thu, Aug 30, 2007 at 11:50:04AM +0200, Ruben Rubio wrote:
As you may know, I do a vacuum full and a reindex database each day. I
have logs that confirm that its done and I can check that everything was
 fine.

So, this morning, I stopped the website, I stopped database, started it
again. (I was around 200  days without restarting), then I vacuum
database and reindex it (Same command as everyday) . Restart again, and
run again the website.

Now seems its working fine. But I really does not know where is the
problem. Seems vacuum its not working fine?  Maybe database should need
a restart? I really don't know.

No, it sounds to me like you just weren't vacuuming aggressively enough
to keep up with demand.

Actually , I think it sounds like a stray long-lived transaction.

Ruben - vacuum can't recover rows if another transaction might be able to see them. So, if you have a connection that issues BEGIN and sits there for 200 days you can end up with a lot of bloat in your database.

Now, there's no way to prove that since you've restarted the database-server, but keep an eye on it.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd