Re: server performance issues - suggestions for tuning

On Tue, Aug 28, 2007 at 08:12:06AM -0500, Kevin Grittner wrote:

> Is there any way to queue up these queries and limit how many are running at
> a time?

Sure: limit the number of connections to the database, and put a pool
in front.  It can indeed help.

If you have a lot of bloat due to large numbers of failed vacuums,
however, I suspect your problem is I/O.  Vacuum churns through the
disk very aggressively, and if you're close to your I/O limit, it can
push you over the top.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"The year's penultimate month" is not in truth a good way of saying
November.
		--H.W. Fowler