Re: significant vacuum issues - looking for suggestions

> <200708241357.23629.kevin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Kevin Kempter
> <kevin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >    c) setup WAL archiving on the 8.1.4 cluster
> >
> >    d) do a full dump of the 8.1.4 cluster and restore it to the new 8.2.4
> > cluster
> >
> >    e) stop the 8.2.4 cluster and bring it up in recovery mode, pointing it
> > the directory where we're archiving the 8.1.4 cluster's WAL segments.
>
> You can't use these techniques for a major version upgrade.
> Use pg_dump piped to psql.  That will also eliminate all bloat.

If you can't afford any downtime, you may be able to use Slony to
do your upgrade.  However, slony adds overhead, and if this system
is tapped out already, it may not tolerate the additional overhead.

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.

wmoran@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx