Re: Installing PostgreSQL

Campbell, Lance wrote:
Should installation questions be sent here or to the admin listserv?

Probably the pgsql-general/admin/novice lists

OS: redhat linux

RHES?

Version of PostgreSQL: 8.2.4

OK

I had a group that now manages our server set up a directory/partition
for us to put postgreSQL into.  The directory is called pgsql_data.  The
directory is more than a regular directory.  It contains a subdirectory
called "lost+found". I would assume this is a logical partition.

No - if you get filesystem corruption any recovered disk-blocks are put into files here. All your disk partitions will have such a directory.

tried installing postgreSQL directly into this directory but it failed
since there is a file in this directory, "lost+found".  Is there a way
around this?  Worst case scenario I will create a subdirectory called
data and put the install in there.

That's what you want to do. Apart from anything else it lets you set ownership & permission of the directory.

>  I would have preferred to put it
directly into the pgsql_data.  There would be no other files that would
have gone into the directory/partition other than postgreSQL.  Would it
be possible for me to install postgreSQL into a sub directory of
pgsql_data and then move the files up a directory into pgsql_data?

Just symlink your directory to the correct place if that's what you want.

Partition at: /mnt/pg_disk
Directory is: /mnt/pg_disk/data
symlink to:   /var/db/data

--