Fast tsearch2, trigram matching on short phrases

I have read that trigram matching (similarity()) performance degrades when the matching is on longer strings such as phrases. I need to quickly match strings and rate them by similiarity. The strings are typically one to seven words in length - and will often include unconventional abbreviations and misspellings.

I have a stored function which does more thorough testing of the phrases, including spelling correction, abbreviation translation, etc... and scores the results - I pick the winning score that passes a pass/fail constant. However, the function is slow. My solution was to reduce the number of rows that are passed to the function by pruning obvious mismatches using similarity(). However, trigram matching on phrases is slow as well.

I have experimented with tsearch2 but I have two problems:

1) I need a "score" so I can decide if match passed or failed. trigram similarity() has a fixed result that you can test, but I don't know if rank() returns results that can be compared to a fixed value

2) I need an efficient methodology to create vectors based on trigrams, and a way to create an index to support it. My tsearch2 experiment with normal vectors used gist(text tsvector) and an on insert/update trigger to populate the vector field.

Any suggestions on where to go with this project to improve performance would be greatly appreciated.

Carlo

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend