Re: Dell Hardware Recommendations

On Aug 10, 2007, at 4:36 PM, Merlin Moncure wrote:

I'm not so sure I agree.  They are using LSI firmware now (and so is
everyone else).  The servers are well built (highly subjective, I
admit) and configurable.  I have had some bad experiences with IBM
gear (adaptec controller though), and white box parts 3ware, etc.  I
can tell you that dell got us the storage and the server in record
time

do agree on adaptec however

Ok, perhaps you got luckier... I have two PowerVault 220 rack mounts with U320 SCSI drives in them. With an LSI 320-2X controller, it *refuses* to recognize some of the drives (channel 1 on either array). Dell blames LSI, LSI blames dell's backplane. This is consistent across multiple controllers we tried, and two different Dell disk arrays. Dropping the SCSI speed to 160 is the only way to make them work. I tend to believe LSI here.

The Adaptec 2230SLP controller recognizes the arrays fine, but tends to "drop" devices at inopportune moments. Re-seating dropped devices starts a rebuild, but the speed is recognized as "1" and the rebuild takes two lifetimes to complete unless you insert a reboot of the system in there. Totally unacceptable. Again, dropping the scsi rate to 160 seems to make it more stable.

              http://archives.postgresql.org