Re: Vacuum looping?

On Jul 30, 2007, at 9:04 AM, Steven Flatt wrote:
On 7/28/07, Jim C. Nasby <decibel@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: What are your vacuum_cost_* settings? If you set those too aggressively
you'll be in big trouble.

autovacuum_vacuum_cost_delay = 100

Wow, that's *really* high. I don't think I've ever set it higher than 25. I'd cut it way back.

autovacuum_vacuum_cost_limit = 200

These are generally fine, autovacuum keeps up, and there is minimal impact on the system.

vacuum_cost_delay = 100
vacuum_cost_limit = 1000

We set this cost_limit a little higher so that, in the few cases where we have to intervene manually, vacuum runs faster.

IIRC, when the cost delay was initially introduced (8.0), someone did testing and decided that the cost limit of 200 was optimal, so I wouldn't go changing it like that without good reason.

Normally, I'll use a delay of 10ms on good disk hardware, and 20ms on slower hardware.
--
Decibel!, aka Jim Nasby                        decibel@xxxxxxxxxxx

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster