Re: Questions on Tags table schema

Richard Huxton wrote:

CREATE TABLE car_tags
(
   CarID integer NOT NULL,
   TagID integer NOT NULL
);
[snip other table defs]

Don't forget CarID isn't really an integer (I mean, you're not going to be doing sums with car id's are you?) it's actually just a unique code. Of course, computers are particularly fast at dealing with 32-bit integers.

Just realised I haven't explained what I meant by that.

CarID is a different type from PlaneID and TagID. As it happens, we are using integers to represent them all, but a CarID = 1 is different from a PlaneID = 1 and although you can numerically compare the two it is an error to do so.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster