Re: PITR Backups

It's the latter, is snapshot of the durable state of the storage system (e.g. it will never be corrupted)

Regards,
Dan Gorman

On Jun 22, 2007, at 11:02 AM, Tom Lane wrote:

"Simon Riggs" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
If you saw a problem I'd be inclined to question whether
there is some upstream component (OS or disk controller) that's
reordering writes.

Given thats exactly what they do, constantly, I don't think its safe to
say that it works since we cannot verify whether that has happened or
not.

If he's trying to snapshot at a level of hardware that's behind a
write-caching disk controller, I agree that that's untrustworthy.

If not, ie if he's snapshotting the actual durable state of the storage
system, then any problems in the snapshot indicate a problem with the
database's ability to recover from a crash. So I don't think you should
tell him to not worry.

			regards, tom lane