Re: PostgreSQL Configuration Tool for Dummies - feedback adjustable control

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007, Sabin Coanda wrote:

Instead of (or in addition to) configure dozens of settings, what do you say about a feedback adjustable control based on the existing system statistics and parsing logs (e.g http://pgfouine.projects.postgresql.org/index.html ) ?

something like this would be useful for advanced tuneing, but the biggest problem is that it's so difficult to fingoure out a starting point. bad choices at the starting point can cause several orders of magnatude difference in the database performsnce. In addition we know that the current defaults are bad for just about everyone (we just can't decide what better defaults would be)

this horrible starting point gives people a bad first impression that a simple tool like what's being discussed can go a long way towards solving.

David Lang