Re: Very long SQL strings

Steven Flatt wrote:
It looks like Postgres does not enforce a limit on the length of an SQL
string. Great. However is there some point at which a query string becomes
ridiculously too long and affects performance?  Here's my particular case:
consider an INSERT statement where you're using the new multi-row VALUES
clause or SELECT ... UNION ALL to group together tuples.  Is it always
better to group as many together as possible?

I'm sure you'll reach a point of diminishing returns, and eventually a ceiling where you run out of memory etc, but I don't know what the limit would be.

The most efficient way to do bulk inserts is to stream the data with COPY.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas