Re: Database-wide VACUUM ANALYZE

Steven Flatt wrote:
The bad thing, which I don't totally understand from reading the docs, is
that another db-wide vacuum kicked off exactly 24 hours after the first
db-wide vacuum kicked off, before the first one had finished.  (Note that
these vacuums seem to go through the tables alphabetically.)  I managed to
explain this to myself in that there were still rows in tables not yet
touched by the first db-wide vacuum that could have XIDs older than
autovacuum_freeze_max_age.  Fine, so two db-wide vacuums were now taking
place, one behind the other.

Are you sure there's no cron job starting the vacuums? 24h sounds too good to be a coincidence, and there's no magic constant of 24h in the autovacuum code. Besides, autovacuum can only be running one VACUUM at a time, so there must be something else launching them.

What's your vacuuming strategy in general, before and after upgrade?

--
  Heikki Linnakangas