Re: Volunteer to build a configuration tool

To me, the worst catch-22 we face in this area is that we'd like the
optimizer's choices of plan to be stable and understandable, but the
real-world costs of queries depend enormously on short-term conditions
such as how much of the table has been sucked into RAM recently by
other queries.  I have no good answer to that one.

	Yeah, there is currently no way to tell the optimizer things like :

- this table/portion of a table is not frequently accessed, so it won't be in the cache, so please use low-seek plans (like bitmap index scan) - this table/portion of a table is used all the time so high-seek-count plans can be used like index scan or nested loops since everything is in RAM

Except planner hints (argh) I see no way to give this information to the machine... since it's mostly in the mind of the DBA. Maybe a per-table "cache temperature" param (hot, warm, cold), but what about the log table, the end of which is cached, but not the old records ? It's messy.

	Still PG does a pretty excellent job most of the time.