Re: Best use of second controller with faster disks?

On Jun 12, 2007, at 8:33 PM, Francisco Reyes wrote:

Vivek Khera writes:

what raid card have you got?

2 3ware cards.
I believe both are 9550SX
i'm playing with an external enclosure which has an areca sata raid in it and connects to the host via fibre channel.

What is the OS? FreeBSD?

FreeBSD, indeed. The vendor, Partners Data Systems, did a wonderful job ensuring that everything integrated well to the point of talking with various FreeBSD developers, LSI engineers, etc., and sent me a fully tested system end-to-end with a Sun X4100 M2, LSI 4Gb Fibre card, and their RAID array, with FreeBSD installed already.

I can't recommend them enough -- if you need a high-end RAID system for FreeBSD (or other OS, I suppose) do check them out.

Right now I'm testing an 8-disk RAID6 configuration on the same device; it seems slower than the 16-disk RAID6, but I haven't yet tried 8-disk RAID10 with dedicated log yet.

Is all this within the same controller?

Yes, the system is in testing right now, so I'm playing with all sort of different disk configurations and it seems that the 16-disk RAID6 is the winner so far. The next best was the 14-disk RAID6 + 2 disk RAID1 for log.

I have separate disks built-in to the system for boot.