Re: pg_stat_* collection

On Thu, 3 May 2007, Alexander Staubo wrote:

I have a bunch of plugin scripts for Munin that collect PostgreSQL statistics. I have been considering tarring them up as a proper release at some point.

Excellent plan. Pop out a tar file, trade good ideas with Tobias, have some other people play with the code and improve it. Let me know if you need a place to put the files at, since I'd like to look at them anyway I could easily dump them onto a web page while I was at it.

Munin is a very interesting solution to this class of problem. They've managed to streamline the whole data collection process by layering clever Perl hacks three deep. It's like the anti-SNMP--just build the simplest possible interface that will work and then stop designing. The result is so easy to work with that it's no surprise people like Munin.

It's also completely inappropriate for any environment I work in, because there really is no thought of security whatsoever in the whole thing. What I'm still thinking about is whether it's possible to fix that issue while still keeping the essential simplicity that makes Munin so friendly.

--
* Greg Smith gsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD