Re: SCSI vs SATA

On 5-4-2007 17:58 jason@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

On Apr 5, 2007, at 4:09 AM, Ron wrote:

BE VERY WARY OF USING AN ADAPTEC RAID CONTROLLER!

Thanks - I received similar private emails with the same advice. I will change the controller to a LSI MegaRAID SAS 8408E -- any feedback on this one?

We have the dell-equivalent (PERC 5/e and PERC 5/i) in production and have had no issues with it, it also performes very well (compared to a ICP Vortex controller). The LSI has been benchmarked by my colleague and he was pleased with the controller.

I went w/ Fujitsu. Fortunately these servers are hosted in a very well ventilated area so i am not that concerned with heat issues.

We have 15 of the 36GB drives and they are doing great. According to that same colleague, the Fujitsu drives are currently the best performing drives. Although he hasn't had his hands on the new Savvio 15k rpm drives yet.

What 16bay 3U server are you using?

supermicro sc836tq-r800
http://www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/3U/836/SC836TQ-R800V.cfm

You could also look at this version of that chassis:
http://www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/3U/836/SC836E1-R800V.cfm

Afaik it sports a 28-port expander, which should (please confirm with your vendor) allow you to connect all 16 drives to the 8-ports of your controller. Which in turn allows your both sets of disks to be used with your BBU-backed controller.

Best regards,

Arjen