OT: Munin (was Re: Determining server load from client)

Joe Healy wrote:
(forgot to send to list)
Dan Harris wrote:
architecture of the server hardware. It would be very nice if I could check the load of the server at certain intervals to throttle the number of concurrent queries and mitigate load problems when other processes might be already inducing a significant load.

I have installed munin (http://munin.projects.linpro.no/) on a few systems. This lets you look at graphs of system resources/load etc. I have also added python scripts which do sample queries to let me know if performance/index size is changing dramatically. I have attached an example script.

For general monitoring of a handful of servers, I've been impressed with munin. It's very simple to get it running and write your own plugins.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd